CHANDIGARH: At least 31 people were killed and more than 250 wounded on Friday in violence by supporters of self-proclaimed “Godman” Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh in Haryana and neighboring Punjab after a court had sentenced him to rape two Of its supporters. Ram Rahim, head of Dera Sacha Sauda, was convicted on Monday and was transported from Panchkula to Rohtak in a government helicopter, where he is in a special prison cell. Officials say the situation in prominent cities is bleak but under control.
Ram Rahim Verdict, cops, army on alert: 10 facts
1. Following the conviction of the leader of Dera, his supporters attacked in response, attacking stations, gas stations and television vans in the cities of Punjab and Haryana. In the town of Panchkula, dozens of cars were burning, while a bloody body was in the middle of a street. The media have been attacked; An OB van was burned down and completely destroyed.
2. “The situation of law and order is under control, as there has been no report of violence since last night,” said a senior police official. Last night, the army led a flag march in the region to organize and rule the law. The riot zones were placed under hours of rest. The police questioned whether they should stay inside.
3. At 5 pm yesterday, the army was summoned to Panchkula, on the outskirts of Chandigarh, to avoid control after the troubles caused by more than 1.5 Lakh guru followers. Previously, police used tear gas and water cannons to try to dispel Ram Rahim fans’ mobs but were slightly inferior to the court building.
4. After Panchkula, where violence was toppled around 19:00 with supporters of Gurmeet Ram Rahim, the army was deployed to Sirsa, Ram Rahim’s massive base. Great and intense clashes took place between the police and members of the Ram Rahim sect, Dera Sacha Sauda. Several buildings were burnt down. Two people were killed, both were members.
5. In Tweets, Prime Minister Narendra Modi condemned the violence and said it was “deeply troubling” and added that the situation was closely monitored. The Ram Rahim sect will appeal against Friday’s verdict.
6. In Delhi, a bus and two trainers of an empty train were set on fire. Prime Minister Arvind Kejriwal called for peace; The capital was raised. Public meetings were banned in several parts of Delhi, on the border with Haryana.
7. The police were removed from the camera while Gurmeet Ram Rahim’s supporters were threatened. The Punjab and High Court of Haryana have indicated that the police officers concerned will be punished. The court said that the many characteristics of the Gurmeet Ram Rahim sect are confiscated to pay for the massive damage that now causes public property.
8. Violence spread rapidly to other cities, including Bathinda in Punjab. In the towns of Malout and Balluanna, two stations were set on fire in Punjab. Almost 200 trains crossing Punjab and Haryana were canceled. The army was named in 10 districts of Punjab and several supporters of Dera were arrested, said the state government.
9. Ram Rahim came for the verdict in a 200-car rally. Last night, Panchkula was overtaken by more than one Lakh supporter of Gurmeet Ram Rahim – clusters of them who have grown over the past two days, despite demands from the Haryana government to destroy the city.
10. Yesterday the Supreme Court of Punjab and Haryana attacked the administration because they took no precautions against the overwhelming presence of Ram Rahim-Devotees in Panchkula. In a video message at midnight, Gurmeet Ram Rahim called his supporters to return home, his request does not dissuade his devotees in Panchkula who said they would stay in the city to show their support. Many also said they wanted to see him personally.